In the following tutorial I will explain how to install MyBB 1.8.12 on Ubuntu Server. I will be doing this from the command line so no GUI needed.
- Download the MyBB package. You will want to get the latest version of MyBB.
- By default Ubuntu does not come with unzip. Install that now.
- Unzip the MyBB zip file
- Install LAMP (Linux, Apache2, PHP and MySQL) Restart Apache after
- Move MyBB files to the server folder
- Rename the inc/config.default.php
- Now change permissions on the following files and directories
- Login to MySQL and create Database.
- Browse to the install page.
<br /> wget --content-disposition https://www.mybb.com/download/latest -O mybb.zip<br />
<br /> sudo apt install unzip<br />
<br /> unzip mybb.zip<br />
2 folders should now be in your present working directory. Unload and Documentation.
<br /> sudo apt install apache2 mysql-server php-mysql php libapache2-mod-php php-mcrypt<br /> sudo systemctl restart apache2<br />
This install will ask to create a root password for the MySQL database.
<br /> cd /var/www/<br /> sudo mkdir mybb/<br /> mv ~/Upload/* /var/www/html/mybb/<br />
You should now see all the files in the www/mybb directory.
<br /> sudo mv inc/config.default.php inc/config.php<br />
<br /> sudo chmod 666 inc/config.php inc/settings.php inc/languages/english/*.php inc/languages/english/admin/*.php<br /> sudo chmod 777 cache/ cache/themes/ uploads/ uploads/avatars/ admin/backups/<br />
<br /> mysql -u root -p<br />
Enter the password that was create for MySQL.
Now create the database and a user to have access to this database only.
<br /> create database MyBB;<br /> grant all privileges on MyBB.* to 'MyBB'@'localhost' identified by "S0mePassw0rd";<br /> flush privileges;<br /> exit;<br />
You can now follow the step by step installer. Be sure to specify the database credentials you create above. Do not use the root account.
Go to your main web URL and you should see your new forum ready to go! If you have any questions please leave them below.